Pasta is a simple but delicious dinner that almost always gets eaten without a fight! Take advantage by incorporating veggie goodness in the sauce to fool even the pickiest of eaters! Mushrooms add a deep umami flavour and extra nutrition to this classic, easy dinner.
10 minPrep Time
1 hrCook Time
1 hr, 10 Total Time
- 12 oz (340 g) fresh crimini Mushrooms
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 12 oz (340 g) lean ground beef
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried minced onion
- 1 1/2 (7.5 mL) tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) red wine
- 1 can (6 fl oz/120 g) tomato paste
- 1 bottle (15 oz/425 g) strained tomato purée
- 1 lb (454 g) spaghetti, cooked and drained
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) torn fresh basil leaves
- Parmesan cheese
- Place the mushrooms, onion and garlic in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse until finely chopped. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepan set over medium heat. Crumble in the ground beef. Cook for 5 minutes or until browned. Add the mushroom mixture, Worcestershire sauce, seasoning blend and salt. Cook for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in the wine; simmer for 1 minute. Add the tomato paste. Cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until dark red. Stir in the strained tomato purée. Simmer for 45 minutes or until thickened. Toss the spaghetti with the sauce and basil.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese.
Recipe courtesy of our featured member, Mushrooms Canada.