This mushroom strata is a perfect way to incorporate tons of veggies without a ton of fuss! This hearty breakfast can be prepped ahead of time and then baked for breakfast! Perfect for brunch, Easter, Mother’s Day, or a long weekend!
- 4 cups (1 L) stale, ½-inch (1 cm) French bread cubes
- 8 ozs (250 g) sweet or hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 8 ozs (250 g) sliced Ontario Mushrooms (button or a mixture)
- 1 Ontario Onion, chopped
- ½ red pepper, chopped
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chopped fresh thyme
- 8 Ontario Eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Cheddar cheese
- Spread bread cubes evenly on bottom of greased 11 X 7-inch (2 L) baking dish.
- In large non-stick skillet, cook sausage in oil over medium-high heat, breaking up with back of wooden spoon, until no longer pink. Add sliced mushrooms, onion, red pepper and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper.
- Spread mushroom mixture evenly over bread in dish. Pour egg mixture over all. Sprinkle with cheese. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes, while pre-heating oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until lightly browned and eggs are set. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Serve warm.
Nutrients per serving (1/8 recipe): 420 calories, 23 g total fat, 829 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrates, 2 g fibre, 21 g protein. Excellent source of riboflavin, folate, vitamin B12 and vitamin D. Good source of thiamin, calcium, iron and zinc.