15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 3/4 lb (340 g) okra, washed, trimmed and cut into ½-inch (1 cm) slices
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Cajun seasoning
- 2 cups (500 mL) cherry tomato, halved
- 1 cup (250 mL) corn kernels
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- Lemon wedges
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add bacon; cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until golden.
- Increase heat to high; add oil. Add okra, onion, pepper, celery, garlic, and Cajun seasoning. Sauté for 3 minutes or until veggies are crisp.
- Add tomato and corn; sauté for an additional 2 minutes or until veggies are tender crisp. Season with salt. Stir in parsley and serve with lemon wedges.
If you like your creole spicy, add 1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper with the Cajun seasoning.
When buying okra, look for bright green pods without any blemishes and use within 3 days of purchasing.
Serve as side dish with chicken or over rice.
Nutritional Information per Serving (1/4 recipe): Calories 124, Fat 3g, Cholesterol 16mg, Sodium 478mg, Carbohydrates 20g, Fibre 5g, Sugar 10g, Protein 6g