This one-pot meal features basic ingredients but is way more than basic when it comes to flavour! It’s another recipe from our budget series. At the time of publishing, the ingredients for this entire recipe cost less than $17.
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- Kosher Salt, Pepper, and Dried Italian Seasoning, to taste
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 - 3 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 cups tomato sauce
- 2 medium sized zucchini, end trimmed and sliced into ½-inch thick coins
- 6 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley and/or basil, for garnish
- Pasta for serving, if desired
- Season both sides of the chicken pieces generously with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning; set aside.
- Set a large lidded skillet over medium heat. Warm the oil and cook the onion for about 3 minutes, then add the garlic and carrot and cook for another 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Add the chicken pieces in the pan, skin-side down and cook until browned, about 3 to 5 minutes. Flip the chicken over and cook the second side for the same amount of time.
- Sprinkle the chicken pieces with the Parmesan cheese, dividing it evenly between the thighs.
- Pour the tomato sauce around the chicken and cook, covered, on low to medium-low heat for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid and arrange the zucchini on top of and in between the chicken pieces. Place a slice of fresh mozzarella on top of each piece of chicken. Replace lid and cook for another 15 minutes on low heat. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and/or basil, if desired, serve alongside your favourite pasta.
Approx. $22 for 4 servings
Recipe Developed by Jan Scott.