Make this stuffing for your next family gathering: Ontario apple, bacon, and chestnut stuffing takes all the holiday flavours and creates on hearty stuffing!
Makes 10 to 12 servings.
*Variety Tip: For best results, use Ontario Empire, Cortland, Northern Spy, McIntosh, Crispin or Idared apples.
- 1/2 lb (250 g) double smoked bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch strips
- 4 cups (1L) diced onion
- 3 cups (750 mL) diced celery
- 2 cups (500 mL) diced mushrooms
- 4 Ontario apples*, cored and diced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried rubbed sage
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) each salt and pepper
- 2 cups (500 mL) coarsely chopped water chestnuts
- 8 cups (2 L) cubed whole wheat bread
- 2 cups (500 mL) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- In large skillet, cook bacon over medium high heat until brown and crisp, about 10 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to large bowl.
- Pour off all but 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the drippings from skillet. Add onions and celery, reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring, until celery is tender and onion is golden and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and apples and cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add to bowl with cooked bacon. Sprinkle with thyme, sage, salt and pepper.
- Stir in chestnuts and cubed bread until well combined. Drizzle in broth, stirring, until well moistened.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Arrange stuffing in a greased 13 x 9-inch (3 L) baking dish.
- Cover with buttered foil and bake in preheated oven until heated through, about 40 minutes. Uncover and bake until top is slightly crisp and golden, about 15 minutes.
This recipe was kindly provided by our featured member, Ontario Apple Growers!