This elegant Ontario Apple, Caramelized Onion and White Cheddar Pizza made with frozen puff pastry is a crowd pleaser! You’ll love the flavour complements with it’s sweet Ontario apples, mellow caramelized onions, tangy aged cheddar and fresh thyme. Cut into small squares for an appetizer, or serve with a crisp green salad for a light lunch.
20 minCook Time
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 2 onions, sliced into 1/4 (6 mm) rounds
- 2 Ontario Apples, Cored and sliced into wedges
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cider vinegar
- 1/2 pkg. frozen puff pastry (1 sheet), thawed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded aged white cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh thyme
- Before you begin: Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Melt butter in large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Cook onions until caramelized and softened, stirring
- occasionally, about 15 minutes. Stir in apple wedges and cook 5 minutes longer (apples will be firm and a light
- golden colour). Season with salt, pepper and vinegar. Let cool slightly.
- Roll puff pastry into a flat 10-inch (25 cm) square. Cut a 1/2-inch (1 cm) strip from each side. Brush the edges
- of the remaining pastry square with water and arrange strips on top, trimming, to form a border (or pizza crust)
- on all four sides. Using fork, prick bottom of pastry all over. Arrange onion and apple mixture inside border.
- Sprinkle with cheddar and thyme.
- Bake in the centre of preheated oven until pastry is puffed and golden and cheddar is melted and bubbly, about 20
- to 25 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before slicing into squares. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Chef Tip: The white cheddar can also be substituted with an equal amount of Gruyère or Smoked Applewood cheddar.
Variety Tip: For best results, use Ontario Crispin, Empire or Russet apples.
Recipe courtesy of onapples.com
Get inspired with the Recipe Video!