These hearty muffins are the perfect make-ahead breakfast or after school snack. Use Ontario-grown carrots and apples and you’ll feel even better knowing you’ve supported your local growers!
- ¾ cup (180 mL) each all-purpose and whole wheat flours
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) each baking soda and cinnamon
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- 2 Ontario Eggs
- ¾ cup (180mL) sugar
- ½ cup (125 mL) vegetable oil
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) grated orange rind
- 2 medium Ontario Apples, cored, unpeeled and coarsely grated
- 1 medium Ontario Carrot, peeled and coarsely grated
- Preheat oven to 375°F (180°C). Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners or grease.
- In medium bowl, combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In large bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, oil and grated rind. Stir in dry ingredients until just blended. Stir in grated apples and carrots.
- Spoon evenly into muffin cups. Bake for about 25 minutes or until lightly browned and firm to touch. Cool on rack.
Nutrients per serving (1 muffin): 216 calories, 10 g total fat, 122 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrates, 2 g fibre, 3 g protein.