This recipe for the short-of-time cook turns store-bought (or leftover) roast chicken, fresh Ontario apples and frozen pie crusts into flaky bundles perfect for entertaining or tucking into lunch boxes.
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked shredded chicken
- 1 cup (250 mL) lightly packed grated Ontario Apples (about two apples)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded old Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) minced green onion
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) each salt and pepper
- 4 frozen prepared deep dish pie crusts, thawed
- 1 egg yolk whisked with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water
- Before you begin: Preheat oven to 425°F (225°C)
- In medium bowl, combine chicken, apple, cheese, green onion, salt and pepper.
- Place thawed crust on a lightly floured surface and using a 3-inch (7.5 cm) round cookie-cutter, cut 5 rounds from each pie crust. Using a rolling pin, re-roll scraps and cut 4 more rounds.
- Place 2 tbsp (30 mL) of filling in the centre of each round, fold round in half and pinch slightly to secure. Using the tines of a fork, crimp around edge of turnover to prevent filling from spilling out and arrange on a parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining rounds and filling (you will have to use two baking sheets). With a sharp paring knife, cut a small slit in the top of each turnover and brush with egg mixture.
- Bake turnovers in preheated oven until golden, about 12 minutes.
Chef Tip: Don’t have a cooked chicken on hand? An equal amount of roasted sliced or shaved turkey from your deli can be easily substituted.
Variety Tip: For best results, use Ontario Empire, Crispin, Idared, Golden Delicious, Cortland or Spartan apples.
Recipe courtesy of onapples.com