Flavoured with cinnamon and a hint of cardamom, these fluffy Ontario Apple Oatmeal pancakes can be topped with maple syrup or yogurt (or both)!
Makes 14 pancakes
- ¾ cup (180 mL) whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (125 mL) quick-cooking oats
- ¼ cup (60 mL) brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- 1½ tsp (7.5 mL) cinnamon
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 egg
- 1½ cups (375 mL) milk
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) melted butter
- Butter or vegetable oil for cooking
- 2 small Ontario Apples, cored and grated
- Toppings: maple syrup, vanilla yogurt sprinkled with cinnamon
- In large bowl, combine flours, oats, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom and salt.
- In separate bowl, whisk together egg, milk and melted butter. Add to dry ingredients and mix until just moistened. Stir in grated apple.
- Heat large non-stick skillet over medium heat; swirl in a little butter or oil. Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls (50 mL) for each pancake. Cook 1½ to 2 minutes or until underside is golden and bubbles break on top. Turn and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until underside is golden.
Nutrients per serving (2 pancakes): 242 calories, 9 g total fat, 295 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrates, 4 g fibre, 6 g protein. Good source of magnesium.