This breakfast classic is turned up a notch with some thinly sliced Ontario apples! Make this Ontario Apple stuffed French toast for a bit of fall flavour any time of the year!
- 8 slices stale raisin bread
- ¼ cup (60 mL) spreadable cream cheese
- 2 Ontario apples (such as Empire or McIntosh), thinly sliced
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup (180 mL) milk
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) vanilla
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- Ontario Maple Syrup
- Spread one side of each slice of raisin bread with cream cheese. Top 4 slices of bread with a layer of apple slices. Top with remaining slices of bread to make sandwiches.
- Whisk eggs; add milk and vanilla and whisk until smooth. Pour into a shallow dish large enough to hold 1 sandwich.
- In a large non-stick skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Dip a sandwich into egg mixture, turning to soak – don’t oversoak.
- Add 2 sandwiches to skillet and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining sandwiches. Cut in half and serve with maple syrup.
Nutrients per serving: 433 calories, 18 g total fat, 440 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrates, 4 g fibre, 14 g protein. Excellent source of thiamin, riboflavin, folate and vitamin B12 Good source of vitamin D.