Take this classic Mexican favourite and put a local twist on it by taking advantage of Ontario’s asparagus season! These Asparagus and Chicken enchiladas make for a very caliente dinner!
For an easy weeknight dinner, use a store-bought deli roasted chicken. Substitute tomato salsa for salsa verde if desired.
20 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1 jar (500 mL) salsa verde
- 18 Ontario asparagus spears, trimmed and blanched
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded cooked chicken
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) shredded part skim Cheddar cheese
- 8 corn tortillas, lightly toasted
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) crumbled reduced fat feta
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped red pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) reduced fat sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Grease a 9 x 13-inch (3 L) baking dish. Spoon in 1/2 cup salsa verde.
- Place 2 spears asparagus, 1/4 cup (60 mL) chicken, and 1 tbsp (15 mL) Cheddar cheese in each tortilla. Roll up tightly and place seam-side down in baking dish. Top with the remaining salsa verde and sprinkle with the remaining Cheddar cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until tortillas are lightly browned and filling is heated through. Chop the remaining asparagus spears and toss with the feta, red pepper and cilantro. Scatter over the baking dish. Serve with sour cream.
Nutritional Information per Serving (2 enchiladas): Calories 327, Fat 9.5g, Cholesterol 4mg, Sodium 493mg, Carbohydrates 28g, Fibre 4g, Sugar 5g, Protein 26.5g