With the holiday season here, plenty of people are bringing rich casseroles and creamy side dishes, but you can indulge in something crisp and flaky that’s full of flavour and not too heavy on the cream. Serve this beautiful Asparagus and Mushroom Tart at your next holiday party as an appetizer or cut into even smaller pieces as an hors d’oeuvre. Happy Holidays!
Serve this delectable tart for a light meal with a green salad or cut into small squares for appetizers.
- 6 ozs (190 g) Ontario Shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and cut into 1/4-inch/ 6 mm slices (about 21/2 cups/625 mL)
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) butter
- 1 sheet pre-rolled frozen puff pastry* (about 8 ozs/250 g), thawed
- Flour for rolling
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 lb (250 g) Ontario Asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp ( 5 mL) grated lemon rind
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) sour cream
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded Gruyere cheese, divided
- In medium skillet, cook sliced mushrooms in butter over medium-high heat, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer to large bowl to cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Lightly dust a work surface with flour and gently unfold pastry sheet. Roll pastry, eliminating creases, to 10 by 12-inch (25 X 30 cm) rectangle. Cut rectangle in half lengthwise to make two 5 by 12-inch (6.5 X 30 cm) rectangles. Transfer both to parchment lined baking sheet. Using small knife, score 1/2-inch (1 cm) border (do not cut through) around the inside edges of each rectangle. Whisk egg yolk with 1 tsp (5 mL) water. Brush a little of egg mixture along the borders (discard remaining).
- Add asparagus, thyme, lemon rind, salt and pepper to the mushrooms. Stir in sour cream and half cheese. Mound filling evenly atop pastry rectangles and spread inside created borders. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 400°F (200°C) for about 25 minutes or until pastry is browned and asparagus is tender. Slice and serve warm.
* You can also use 1/2 block 397 g pkg frozen puff pastry.
Nutrients per serving (1/6 recipe): 333 calories, 24 g total fat, 359 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrates, 2 g fibre, 8 g protein. Excellent source of folate. Good source of thiamin, riboflavin and vitamin B12.