We love a classic blueberry pie but the thought of turning on the oven in the hot summer months isn’t always appealing. Here’s the solution, blueberry ice cream pie! Packed with all the delicious flavour of fresh Ontario blueberries without heating up the kitchen. This pie comes together with minimal effort and has ice cream built right into it!
- 2 pints Ontario blueberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 9 ready-crust
- 1 qt vanilla ice cream
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- In a large saucepan, combine blueberries and sugar.
- Mix water and cornstarch together and stir into blueberry mixture.
- Cook at a simmer until sauce is thickened.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the mixture for decorating the top. Cool.
- Spoon blueberry mixture into pie crust.
- Spoon ice cream over blueberries.
- Beat orange juice into reserved blueberry mixture. Drizzle over ice cream.
- Freeze. Remove pie 15 minutes before serving to thaw enough to cut. Cut into wedges to serve.
Recipe courtesy of our friends at the Berry Growers of Ontario.