Use a mixture of cremini, button, oyster and shiitake mushrooms and your choice of herbs to create this Italian classic. Serve as a side dish or entrée.
Serves 4 as a side dish, 2 for an entrée
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 2 leeks (white part only), sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2½ cups (625 mL) sliced Mixed Ontario Mushrooms (about 8 ozs/250 g)
- 1 cup (250 mL) arborio rice
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) dry white wine
- 3½ to 4 cups (875 mL to 1 L) warm sodium-reduced chicken or vegetable broth
- ¼ cup (50 mL) chopped fresh herbs (mixture basil, chives, thyme, parsley etc.)
- ½ cup (125 mL) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Garnish: Grated Parmesan Cheese
- In large saucepan, heat oil and butter over medium heat. Add leeks and garlic and cook, stirring often for 2 to 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often for about 4 minutes, until golden brown. Stir in rice until well coated and cook stirring for 1 minute. Add wine and cook stirring until liquid is absorbed. Stir in enough broth to cover rice. Lower heat to maintain a vigorous simmer; stir occasionally to prevent sticking. When broth is almost gone, add enough to cover rice. Check risotto every 3 to 4 minutes until liquid is absorbed each time. This takes about 20 minutes until the risotto is creamy and just tender.
- Stir in herbs, ½ cup (125 mL) cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper. The risotto should be moist and creamy, not runny. Use extra broth to loosen if necessary.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrients per serving (1/4 recipe): 397 calories, 14 g total fat, 620 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrates, 3 g fibre, 13 g protein. Excellent source of riboflavin and folate. Good source of niacin, vitamin B12, calcium, magnesium, iron and zinc.