Throw a Game of Thrones party with this Old English-inspired dessert: Ontario pear bread pudding with honey yogurt! Or simply just make it because it’s delicious ;)
- ½ loaf day old French bread (approx. 337 g)
- 2 Ontario Eggs
- 1½ cups (375 mL) milk
- ½ cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) almond extract
- 4 firm, ripe Ontario Pears, peeled, cored and diced (about 3 cups/750 mL)
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) slivered almonds
- ¾ cup (180 mL) plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Ontario Liquid Honey
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) almond extract
- Remove crusts from bread and cut into cubes.
- In large bowl, whisk eggs with milk, granulated sugar and 1 tsp (5 mL) almond extract. Stir in bread and let stand for 10 minutes. Add diced pears.
- Spread in buttered 8-inch (2L) square baking dish, pressing down gently.
- Combine all ingredients for honey-yogurt. Chill until ready to serve.
- Bake pudding at 350°F (180°C) for about 40 minutes or until firm to touch. Remove from oven and turn on broiler. Sprinkle with brown sugar and almonds. Broil for 2 to 3 minutes (watching closely) or until lightly browned. Serve warm with honey-yogurt.
Nutrients per serving: 407 calories, 7 g total fat, 421 mg sodium, 76 g carbohydrates, 5 g fibre, 12 g protein. Excellent source of thiamin, riboflavin, folate and vitamin B12. Good source of niacin, calcium, magnesium and zinc.