Warm up with this light yet comforting Ontario Pear and Parsnip soup! Leeks, onions, and nutmeg make a savoury base while parsnips and pear add a sweet/savoury flourish to complement!
- 3 2/3 cups (900 mL) low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 Ontario Onion, chopped
- 2 Ontario Leeks (white part only) chopped
- 3 large Ontario Parsnips, peeled and chopped (about 1½ lbs/750 g)
- 4 firm, ripe Ontario Pears, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1½ cups (375 mL) approx. light cream or milk or extra broth
- ¼ tsp (2.5 mL) nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- Garnish: chopped fresh chives or parsley and nutmeg
- Place broth, onion, leek, parsnips and pears in large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 25 to 30 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Blend with an immersion blender or in blender until smooth.
- Stir in cream, (adding more if necessary to thin soup) ¼ tsp (2 mL) nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve garnished with chives or parsley and additional nutmeg if desired.
Nutrients per serving (1/4 recipe): 240 calories, 7 g total fat, 353 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrates, 7 g fibre, 9 g protein. Excellent source of folate. Good source of vitamin C, calcium and magnesium.