Grill this Pear and Prosciutto pizza at your next BBQ to infuse this pizza with smoky flavour! Pesto replaces traditional pizza sauce while you have caramelized, grilled pears to balance salty prosciutto and blue cheese.
If you want to make this recipe indoors, follow the instructions for the pears and onions using a grill pan over medium high heat and bake the prepared pizza on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet in the bottom third of a 450F (230C) oven until crust is cooked underneath and the cheese is melted and bubbling, for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- 2 Ontario Bartlett or Bosc pear, sliced 1/4-inch [(5 mm)], core removed
- 1/2 small red onion, cut into rounds
- 1 tbsp (15 L) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all purpose flour
- 1 lb (500 g) pizza dough
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) prepared pesto
- 2 slices prosciutto, cut into thin strips
- 3 oz (75 g) crumbled goat cheese or gorgonzola
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) lightly packed arugula leaves
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Brush pears and onions with olive oil. Place on grill and close lid. Grill turning once, until grill marked and softened, about 3 minutes. Remove from grill and set aside.
- Meanwhile, on lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 16 x 12-inch (40 x 30 cm) rectangle; transfer to a baking sheet. Brush dough with remaining oil and place oil side down, directly on grill. Grill uncovered until bubbles form on top and grill marks form on bottom, about 3 minutes (do not worry if dough sags a bit when first placed on grill - as long as it has been preheated the dough will quickly stiffen up). Use tongs to flip pizza; close lid and grill until bubbly and underside is browned, 3 minutes. Transfer back to baking sheet.
- Spread pesto lightly over top of pizza. Top with pear slices, onion rings, prosciutto and crumbled cheese. Return pizza on the baking sheet back to grill, cover and grill just until cheese softens, about 2 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from grill and transfer to cutting board. Sprinkle with arugula, slice and serve.
PER SERVING: about 240 cal, 9g pro, 11g total fat (3g sat fat), 29g carb, 2g fibre, 15mg chol, 370mg sodium. %RDI: iron 10%, calcium 10%, vit A 8%, vit C 4%
This recipe was kindly provided by our featured member, Ontario Tender Fruit.