Add some great herbed flavour to your classic potato salad by adding pesto! Ontario Potato Pesto salad is a great side dish for an outdoor dinner!
- 1-1/2 lbs (750 g) Ontario small potatoes
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lightly toasted slivered almonds
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup (250 mL) packed fresh Ontario basil leaves (stems removed)
- ½ cup (125 mL) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup (250 mL) Ontario grape or small cherry tomatoes , halved
- Preheat barbecue over medium heat.
- Scrub potatoes and dry well. In a bowl, toss potatoes with 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil, a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Place potatoes in a grill basket and cook on barbecue until potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife, 20 to 25 minutes (time will depend on size of potatoes) and nicely roasted. If you don’t have a grill basket, thread potatoes on metal skewers and turn occasionally to brown on all sides. Stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, make pesto: In food processor combine garlic, almonds, lemon juice, basil and remaining olive oil; process until almost smooth. Add cheese and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Cut potatoes in half or quarters (depending on size) and place in large bowl. Add tomatoes and pesto, toss gently but thoroughly. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm.
- If making ahead, bring to room temperature before serving.
Nutrients per serving: 412 calories, 25 g total fat, 504 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrates, 5 g fibre, 11 g protein. Excellent source of folate, vitamin C and magnesium. Good source of calcium and zinc.