We love creamy coleslaw, but this Ontario Tangy Thai coleslaw fuses Thai flavours with savoy cabbage grown in Ontario! We love eating local, and it’s so easy and full of great fibre and nutrition! What’s your favourite way to eat coleslaw? On the side? On top of a burger or in a sandwich?
- 4 cups (1 L) shredded Ontario Savoy Cabbage (about 1/2 small cabbage)
- 1 Ontario Greenhouse Red Pepper, cut in thin strips
- 1 medium Ontario Carrot, coarsely grated
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced Ontario Greenhouse Cucumber
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) Ontario Bean Sprouts
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh coriander
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) orange juice
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) each low-sodium soy sauce and vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) white rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sesame oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 11/2 tsp (7 mL) sugar
- 11/2 tsp (7 mL) Asian chili-garlic sauce
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) grated orange rind
- In large bowl, combine cabbage, red pepper, carrot, cucumber and onion.
- In small bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients. Toss with slaw mixture. Add bean sprouts and coriander and toss again. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Nutrients per serving (1 cup/250 mL): 80 calories, 5 g total fat, 133 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrates, 2 g fibre, 1 g protein. Excellent source vitamin C. Good source of folate.