Peaches and blueberries are a great pair and even better with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. This easy dessert is a delicious way to use up those extra peaches. And, it’s meant to be rustic, so there’s no need to peel the peaches.
- 5 cups sliced peaches (about 5 medium peaches)
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¾ cup large-flake rolled oats
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Mix together peaches, blueberries and lemon juice in an 8 x 11-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- Combine oats, sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Using your fingers, work the butter into the dry mixture until it resembles a coarse breadcrumb (there should be no large butter clumps). Mix in almonds.
- Sprinkle evenly over peach mixture and gently tap baking dish on counter.
- Bake until fruit is bubbly and topping looks crunchy, about 45 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- By cutting the butter into small cubes first, it makes it easier to work the butter into the flour mixture. You know you’re done when the flour mixture looks like a slightly moist course bread crumb.
- Add the sliced almonds after you’ve worked the butter in the flour mixture so that the almonds stay whole.
- Let the crisp rest for at least ten minutes before serving, this will help the juices to thicken before serving.
- If you don’t have a rectangular glass baking dish, you can use a square one.