A strata is a traditional breakfast recipe that stands the test of time because it tastes wonderful and is easy for entertaining. Made with everyday ingredients like eggs, milk and bread, savoury ingredients like onions, peppers, meats and cheeses usually are added for flavour.
However, to celebrate summer, we decided to change this up and add fresh Ontario peaches, apricots and tart cherries instead. You could substitute other tender fruits too, such as nectarines.
- ½ loaf of white bread (approx. 8-10 slices). You can use stale bread!
- 1 Ontario peach
- ½ to 1 Ontario Apricot
- ¼ cup tart cherries, pitted (no juice)
- 5 large eggs
- 1 ¾ cup milk
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Grease 9-inch cake pan or similar sized pan, for instance a square pan. Set aside.
- Prepare ingredients. Cut bread (including the crust) into bite sized pieces. Wash and cut fruit into bite sized pieces, taking care to remove pits.
- Whisk eggs and milk together in a large bowl. Stir in cinnamon.
- Soak the bread in the mixture and pour into prepared pan.
- Evenly distribute the fruit and tuck into the mixture so that every mouthful will enjoy a bite of fruit!
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rest overnight or for a minimum of one hour.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 350°F for approximately 40 minutes. The middle of the dish should look set.
- Enjoy warm or even cold with some fresh maple syrup. We also love pouring over even more fresh, pitted tart Ontario cherries!