These Ontario Peach Empanadas are a delicious portable treat that’s a great use of those ripe summer peaches! Perfect for a backyard BBQ or a summer picnic on the beach!
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) 35% whipping cream
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground ginger
- 2 Ontario peaches, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 pkg (200 g each) refrigerated rolled piecrust
- Egg wash
- Turbinado sugar
- Melt the butter in a large, nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the brown sugar, cream, cinnamon and ginger. Stir in the peaches. Cook, stirring often, for 3 to 5 minutes or until peaches are tender and caramelized; cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Spread the pastry out on a clean surface. Cut out nine 3-inch (8 cm) rounds from each piece of pastry.
- Place 1 tsp (5 mL) of the peach mixture in the centre of each round. Brush the outer edge with egg wash. Bring edges of pastry together to create a half-moon shape and enclose the filling. Crimp the edges with a fork to seal the pastry.
- Brush the top with egg wash. Sprinkle each with some of the turbinado sugar. Cut two small vent holed in the center of each empanada. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly before serving.
Nutritional Information per Serving (1 empanada): Calories 113, Fat 7g, Cholesterol 8mg, Sodium 115mg, Carbohydrates 13g, Fibre 0.5g, Sugar 3g, Protein 0.5g