This sweet and tangy chutney pairs deliciously with roasted lamb, pork, chicken or turkey. It is also great on a cheese platter and any curry you can dream up!
- 2 cups Peeled, chopped Ontario Bosc Pears 500 mL
- 2 cups Peeled, chopped Ontario Spy Apples 500 mL
- 1 tbsp Coarse pickling salt 15 mL
- 1 1/2 cups Granulated sugar 375 mL
- 3/4 cup Apple cider vinegar 175 mL
- 2 Garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 3/4 cup Finely chopped onion 175 mL
- 1 tsp Dry ginger 5 mL
- 1/3 cup Lemon juice 75 mL
- 1/2 tsp Red pepper flakes 2 mL
- 1/2 cup Golden raisins 125 mL
- 1/2 cup Finely chopped candied ginger 125 mL
- In a large bowl, cover the pears and apples with a brine made of 2 cups (500 mL) cold water and the pickling salt. Let stand for 4 to 6 hours. Drain thoroughly.
- While the fruit drains, combine the sugar, vinegar, garlic, onion, dry ginger, pepper flakes, lemon juice and raisins in a heavy saucepan. Stir well and place on medium heat.
- Add the fruit and bring to a boil. Reduce heat till the chutney is barely bubbling. Simmer till the fruit has softened, about 20 – 25 minutes. Add the candied ginger and continue to cook for 10 minutes, stirring to prevent sticking.
- Ladle into sterilized jars and seal. Let cool and refrigerate for up to one week.