These delicate pear crisps with goat cheese and pine nuts make for a very sophisticated appetizer! You could make a variation as a pear crostini instead by substituting pear crisps with toasted baguette pieces topped with thin slices of raw pear, goat cheese and pine nuts.
- 1 firm Ontario Pear
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) each: water and granulated sugar
- 6 oz (175 g) herbed goat cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) pine nuts, toasted
- Using a mandolin or vegetable peeler, thinly slice pear lengthwise.
- In medium pot over medium-high heat, bring water and sugar to boil, stirring occasionally; continue boiling [do not stir] 5 minutes. One by one, place slices of pear in syrup; cook 1 minute. Remove pear slices with slotted spoon; arrange on parchment-lined baking sheet in single layer. Bake in 200°F (100°C) oven until crisp and dry, about 2 hours. Let cool completely on rack.
- Place 1 tsp (5 mL) of goat cheese on each pear slice; sprinkle with a few pine nuts.
- Makes approximately 20 pieces.
This recipe was kindly provided by our featured member, Ontario Tender Fruit.