This tasty recipe was created for us by Betty Binon from Stems and Forks.
Pecan-crusted goat cheese and Ontario apples combine to create an appetizer worthy of the most special occasion. The apple chutney is super versatile and can be served over meat or alongside a grilled cheese sandwich.
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup chopped or slivered pistachios
- 1 tablespoon (2 sprigs) of fresh tarragon leaves
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 log (250g) plain goat cheese
- 2 medium Ontario apples peeled, cored and diced
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple spice
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¾ cup water
- Lemon juice
- 2 medium Ontario apples, cored and sliced about .5 cm thick
- In a medium bowl, stir together the nuts, tarragon and black pepper; transfer to a plate.
- Roll the goat cheese log over the nut mixture until fully coated. Set aside.
- Set a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and combine all the ingredients. Bring to a boil and cook for one minute. Reduce heat to low and simmer about 5 minutes. or until apples have softened. Serve chutney warm or room temperature.
- Rub the lemon juice all over the apple slices to help prevent browning.
- Set the goat cheese log on a platter and surround with apple slices. Serve alongside a small bowl of the apple chutney.
Recipe by Betty of Stems and Forks for Produce Made Simple