These festive phyllo cups are a bite full of delicious sweet, cheesy and nutty flavour! Make these phyllo cups with Ontario pear chutney, Brie and pecans for your next party or family gathering!
Prepare this simple chutney ahead of time using your favourite Ontario pear. Assemble appetizers just before serving, garnished with fresh herbs, if desired.
Phyllo cups can be stored in airtight containers and even frozen. Re-crisp in 350°F (180°C) oven for about 3 minutes.
- 3 sheets phyllo pastry, thawed
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter, melted
- ¼ cup (60 mL) finely chopped Ontario Onion
- 2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil
- 2 firm, ripe Ontario Pears, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- ¼ cup (60 mL) finely chopped dried apricots
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) liquid honey
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) each cinnamon and ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp (.5 mL) ground allspice
- Pinch salt
- 3 ozs (90 g) brie cheese, cut into small cubes
- ¼ cup (60 mL) chopped toasted pecans
- Place 1 of the 3 sheets of pastry on work surface (work quickly or keep remaining sheets covered with damp towel to prevent drying out). Brush sheet lightly with melted butter. Top with remaining sheets, brushing each lightly with butter.
- Cut lengthwise into 4 strips and crosswise into 6 strips to make 24 squares. Press each square (folding to fit) into lightly greased mini muffin or tart cups. Bake at 400°F (200°C) for about 5 minutes or until golden. Let cool in pan on rack.
- In small saucepan, cook onion in oil over medium heat, stirring often, for about 2 minutes or until softened. Add pears, apricots, honey, vinegar, spices and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10-12 minutes, stirring often, or until pear is tender and mixture thick. Cool to room temperature.
- Fill phyllo cups with a little cheese, chutney and top with chopped pecans. Serve at room temperature or bake at 350°F (180°C) for about 5 minutes or until cheese is slightly melted.