This one of a kind appetizer is a must try in the Spring and Summer when strawberries are sweet and in season.
- 1 lb log of plain soft goat cheese
- pinch of salt and pepper (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 pint strawberries , washed, dried and stems removed
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pistachios
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil leaves chopped
- In a small bowl, mash the goat cheese with a fork to soften it up and season it with salt, pepper, thyme and honey. Mix it well and set aside.
- Mix the pistachios and fresh basil in a separate wider bowl and set aside.
- Take a slightly smaller than golf size ball of the goat cheese mixture and flatten it on the palm of your hand into about 1/8 inch thick circle.
- Place one strawberry in the center of the cheese and use both hands to carefully fold the cheese around the strawberry and begin rolling it around. This doesn’t have to be perfect or even, as long as all the strawberry is covered up with a thin layer of goat cheese.
- Remove any excess cheese in areas of the strawberry and roll it again if necessary.
- Place the strawberry in the pistachio plate and roll it around to coat evenly and place on a plate in a single layer.
- Chill the goat cheese pistachio coated strawberries in the fridge for at least one hour and serve.
Recipe by Two Purple Figs