This easy-to-make rustic plum cake is perfect for any occasion. When selecting plums for this recipe, pick up a selection of plums in different colours, from reds to purple-black or black-blue. For an extra colour burst, add lemon plums to the mix. Using an assortment of plums gives this dish extra eye appeal. Make it a bit more decadent by serving it with vanilla ice-cream or thick yoghurt.
- 4-5 Plums from Chile, depending on the size
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 ¼ sour cream
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven at 350°F. Line 9x13 inch pan with parchment.
- Slice plums into thin slices and remove/discard pits. Set aside.
- In a mixer, or using a hand-held blender combine butter with sugar. Add eggs and vanilla.
- Add half of the flour, then half of the sour cream. Mix to combine.
- Add remaining flour, baking soda and powder. Mix to combine. Add remaining sour cream.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Layer the plums and bake for 45-50 minutes until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Serve warm or room temperature. Store in airtight container for up to 3 days.