This easy quick bread recipe is elevated by the addition of Chilean plums, as they add a layer of sweetness and texture to an otherwise simple baked good. Feel free to swap the fruit for peaches or nectarines, if you prefer. We suggest looking for a medium grind cornmeal for best results.
- 1 large (or 2 small) fresh Chilean plums, sliced
- 4 tablespoons golden honey, divided
- 1 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup butter for the batter + 2 tablespoons for the pan
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- for serving: butter and golden honey drizzled over the top
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium mixing bowl, toss plum slices with 2 tablespoons honey. Let the plums and honey mingle for 20-30 minutes while you prep the rest of the cornbread.
- Whisk together all dry ingredients: cornmeal, flour, baking powder + fine sea salt. Add 2 remaining tablespoons honey, ½ cup melted butter, milk, and eggs to the dry mixture. Whisk to integrate all ingredients.
- Put remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a 9-inch cast iron pan – place pan in the hot oven for 5 minutes until pan is hot and butter is melted. Carefully remove the hot pan, swirl butter around to coat the sides, then pour batter into the buttered skillet. Top with slices of fresh plum and return pan to the hot oven.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the cake can be tested with a toothpick and comes out clean.
- Serve warm with additional butter and a generous drizzle of honey.
Thank you to our friends Fruits from Chile for kindly providing this recipe.