This simple salad is bursting with bold flavour thanks to the combination of plums and fennel, and even boast a bit of crunch thanks to the addition of pecans. Feel free to use peaches or nectarines in place of the plums, if you prefer, and don’t hesitate to double the recipe: it stores well and will keep for days in the fridge.
Serves serves 2 as a main, 4 as a side606
- 1-2 fresh Chilean plums, sliced into wedges
- 1 cooked skinless/boneless chicken breast, shredded
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- ¾ cup lightly toasted pecans
- 1 cup thinly sliced fennel bulb
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- juice of one lemon
- Place plums, shredded chicken, cooked brown rice, diced fennel, and toasted pecans in a serving bowl or platter.
- Whisk together olive oil, vinegar, with a pinch of sea salt and a few grinds of pepper. Pour dressing over the salad and toss everything to coat. Add the fresh herbs and give everything another toss. Squeeze the juice of 1 lemon over the salad, and toss again. Season liberally with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Eat right away, or pack some of this salad in a lidded container to take to lunch or to a potluck.
Thank you to our friends Fruits from Chile for kindly providing this recipe.