Enjoy this quick, easy and delicious Poached Eggs with Spinach and Tomato Sauté recipe for a healthy breakfast meal you can eat every day of the week. You can even have this recipe for lunch or dinner, if you want something light!
Serves 1/4 recipe
15 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp (10 mL) white vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 large Ontario Greenhouse tomatoes, chopped
- 1 pkg (5 ounce/142 g) baby spinach
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) grated or shaved Parmesan cheese
- Fill a saucepan with about 3-inches (8 cm) of water. Heat until water simmers gently; stir in the vinegar. Break a cold egg into a small dish or saucer. Holding the dish just above simmering water, gently slip the egg into the water. Repeat with remaining eggs. Cook, in barely simmering water, for 3 to 5 minutes or until the white is set and yolk is cooked to desired level of doneness. Remove eggs with slotted spoon. Drain well on paper towel.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and dried oregano. Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds to 1 minute or until garlic is softened. Add tomatoes, basil, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper. Sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add the spinach and sauté for 1 minute or until it begins to wilt and the tomatoes are warm. Divide mixture evenly between 4 plates and top with poached egg.
Top with grated or shaved Parmesan cheese.
Switch up the greens and try kale, Swiss chard or arugula, or try adding some sautéed mushrooms.
Nutritional Information per Serving (1/4 recipe): Calories 183, Fat 13g, Cholesterol 215mg, Sodium 345mg, Carbohydrates 6g, Fibre 2g, Sugar 0.5g, Protein 10g