The best antioxidant defense comes from an assortment of colorful fruits and vegetables. These kebabs have it all, red, yellow, green and even orange. Easy and fun to make, you’ll be proud to serve this to family or even for company! Serve over brown rice and a spinach salad to round out this healthy meal.
- 6 tbsp (90 mL) brown sugar
- 6 tbsp (90 mL) reduced sodium soy sauce
- 6 tbsp (90 mL) diced red onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 mL) ground thyme
- Pepper to taste
- 1 lb. (450 g) boned, lean pork chop, cut into 1" cubes (approximately 38 to 40 pieces)
- 32 (1 inch) cubes watermelon (approximately 1 medium large watermelon)
- 16 to 24 (1/2 inch) zucchini rounds (1-2 medium zucchinis)
- 16 (1 inch) pineapple chunks (fresh or canned)
- 24 (1 inch) yellow and/or orange peppers (approximately 2 of each colour)
- Cooking spray
- Combine sugar, soy sauce, onion, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, thyme, and pepper in a mixing bowl. Pour into a zip-lock bag and add pork pieces. Seal bag, mix thoroughly, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight, turning bag on occasion.
- Remove pork from bag and reserve marinade. Thread 5 pork pieces, 4 watermelon cubes, 2 to 3 zucchini rounds, 2 pineapple chunks, and 3 peppers on each of 8 skewers, alternating the order.
- Prepare grill by spraying cooking surface with spray before turning on. Place kebobs on hot grill. Grill for 12 to 15 minutes, depending on grill heat, or until done, turning and basting frequently with reserved marinade.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and chunks of watermelon.