Tasty, hearty and super fun to make for a vegetarian meal. These portobello burgers are delicious pan seared in butter (or on your BBQ) and then topped with quality cheddar cheese. Use your favorite burger toppings and bread to make this the burger of your dreams. We love brioche buns, a spicy mayo spread, arugula, onions, tomatoes and a pinch of chilli flakes. Served with fries or salad–this is one light and delicious burger meal you need to try!
- 4 Ontario grown Portobello Mushrooms with stems removed.
- 1/8 teaspoon each of salt, pepper, oregano and garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoon butter or olive oil if grilling
- 4 slices of quality cheddar cheese
- 4 burger buns of your choice
- 3 Tablespoons of Spicy Mayo (or burger sauce of your choice)
- Arugula, red onions sliced, tomato slices, pickles and your favorite burger toppings.
- Start by seasoning your mushrooms with salt, pepper, oregano and garlic powder on both sides.
- Preheat a skillet or grill at medium high heat.
- If using the stove/skillet, add in the butter and place the mushrooms cap side down to sear.
- If using the grill, drizzle the olive oil on both sides of the mushroom and then place it cap side down first on the grill.
- Flip the mushroom after 3 minutes and cook for another 3 minutes until it feels tender.
- Add the cheese on top of each mushroom and cover lightly for 2 minutes until the cheese melts.
- Assemble the burgers to your taste by spreading your favorite burger sauce/spicy mayo, and pile up the toppings.
- Add the mushroom with the melted cheese over the toppings and then sprinkle some chili flakes if you'd like.
- Cover the mushroom with the top bun and serve right away.
Recipe by Mahy of Two Purple Figs