- 5.5 lbs (2.5 kg) Yukon gold potatoes, sliced thin, peeled, or scrubbed with skin on
- 4 cups (1 L) 35% cream (heavy or whipping cream)
- 1 cup (250 mL) chicken or vegetable stock
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1 cup (250 g) shredded gruyere or aged cheddar cheese
- 3 pieces of rubbed fresh thyme, rinsed
- 6 pieces of fresh sage, rinsed and leaves stripped, reserve 3 sprigs to garnish
- 3 bay leaves
- a pinch of freshly ground nutmeg (to taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat convection oven to 325°F (160°C) non-convection 350°F (175°C)
- Combine cream, chicken stock, garlic, thyme leaves, bay leaves in casserole or large skillet.
- Arrange potatoes in the dish, pressing to cover with liquid, season with salt and pepper.
- Add whole springs of thyme and sage, top with grated cheese
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until potatoes are knife tender, golden, bubbling and crisp.
Developed by Chef Jonathan Collins
Chef Collins has cooked for Prime Ministers, Presidents, Billionaires, Celebrities and Royalty! Since graduating Le Cordon Bleu, Jonathan has developed a signature style by blending North American, European and Asian influences with a French foundation and distinct Canadian identity, emphasizing fresh, local, seasonal ingredients. For Jonathan, it’s about fewer ingredients, simple recipes, better techniques, and a return to passionate, healthy and simple cooking.