A sweet twist on your classic quesadilla includes crunchy Ontario apple salsa for added nutrition, flavour, and texture. This apple salsa is versatile and great to eat over your favourite nachos (with an apple twist of course!), or add to a wrap or burrito.
- 1 tart Ontario apple*, cored and cubed
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) Tabasco jalapeno sauce
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sweet red onion, minced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) fresh Italian parsley, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh fennel, diced
- pinch of salt & black pepper
- 2 cups (500 mL) baby arugula (or watercress)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 8 whole wheat tortillas (recommended: 100% whole wheat roti)
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded aged white cheddar cheese
- 6 oz (175 g) grilled steak (to preferred doneness), sliced into thin strips
- 1 cup (250 mL) light sour cream (optional)
- If using oven, preheat on broil at 400°F (200°C).
- In a mixing bowl, combine apples and lime juice. Add jalapeño hot sauce, onion, parsley, vinegar, fennel and salt and pepper, mix thoroughly. Refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes prior to use, to allow flavours to blend.
- In a small bowl, mix arugula with oil and set aside. Use two tortillas for each quesadilla. Lightly brush the tortillas on one side with olive oil. Place four tortillas, oiled side down on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and lightly sprinkle each one with 2 tbsp (30 mL) of cheese. Add approximately 1/2 cup (125 mL) of arugula followed by 4 to 6 steak slices and 1 tbsp (15 mL) of apple salsa to each. Top each with up to 2 tbsp (30 mL) of cheese followed by a second tortilla, this time with the oiled side up.
- Place under the broiler, or on a grill at med-low heat, for just a few minutes or until the tortilla becomes golden brown (watch carefully, these can burn very easily if ignored). Wearing oven mitts, use a large spatula to flip the quesadillas under the broiler or on the grill and cook for another few minutes until golden brown.
- Transfer the cooked quesadillas to a cutting board and cut into quarters with a pizza slicer. Serve with additional salsa and light sour cream (optional).
*For best results, use Ontario Empire or Gala apples.
Nutritional Value: (1/2 quesadilla): 324 calories, 16 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 29 mg cholesterol, 645 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrates, 6 g fibre, 16 g protein. % RDI: 15% calcium, 15% iron, 2% vitamin A, 10% vitamin C.
This recipe is kindly provided by our featured member, Ontario Apple Growers.