Who says you need sausage on your breakfast sandwich? On this raddichio breakfast sandwich, red chicory adds excellent crunch, flavour, and nutrition, complemented by creamy pesto mayo and freshly fried local egg.
15 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 8 thin slices pancetta
- 4 Ontario eggs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 whole grain English muffins, toasted
- 1 1/2 tbsp (20 mL) mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tbsp (20 mL) basil pesto
- 4 slices provolone
- 4 slices Ontario Greenhouse tomato
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded radicchio
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large non-stick skillet set over medium heat. Add pancetta; cook for 1 minute per side or until golden brown. Transfer to paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Add remaining oil to the skillet. Reduce heat to medium low. Add eggs and cook for 2 to 3 minutes for sunny-side up eggs or to preferred doneness. Season eggs with salt and pepper.
- Combine mayonnaise and pesto. Spread pesto mixture evenly on each of the 4 muffin halves. Add pancetta, tomato, provolone, fried egg and shredded radicchio and top with remaining muffin halves.
- For extra flavour, use smoked provolone.
Nutritional Information per Serving (1 breakfast sandwich): Calories 352 Fat 16g Cholesterol 208mg Sodium 630mg Carbohydrates 29g Fibre 5g Sugar 1g Protein 20g