Summer isn’t over quite yet! Enjoy the last weeks of warm weather by enjoying the in-season beets. Their crisp, mellowed sweet flavour is complemented by lime and ginger, then combined with more crunchy veggies like carrot and cucumber. Add some avocado for another dimension of texture, and this raw beet salad with lime ginger dressing is perfect for a pop of colour to keep you distracted from the impending cloudy, winter days.
4 side salads or 2 full servings.
15 minPrep Time
- • 2 tbsp lime juice
- • 3 tbsp olive oil
- • 2 tsp agave nectar
- • ¼ tsp kosher salt
- • 1 tsp grated ginger
- • 2 medium beets, peeled and julienned
- • 1 medium carrot, julienned
- • 2 inches of English cucumber, julienned
- • 1 sprig of dill, roughly chopped
- • 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- To make the dressing, whisk together lime juice, olive oil, agave nectar, salt, and ginger. Set aside.
- Wash the beets well to get rid of any excess dirt and use a paring knife to peel away the rough outer layer. It’s easier to start the paring knife from the tender part of the root and pull up. Once both are cut, you can julienne your beets either by hand, using a mandoline slicer, or if you have access to one, a spiralizer to create curly beet noodles.
- Continue julienning or spiralizing the carrot and English cucumber. Toss julienned beets, carrot, cucumber, and chopped dill with the dressing. Garnish with thinly sliced avocado slices, and serve immediately.
This recipe was developed by Lisa Le, a Toronto-based vegan food blogger and YouTuber behind The Viet Vegan. She blogs about food with stories about Vietnamese culture, nerdism, feminism, and her life sprinkled in on top.