Freshly fried corn fritters are a summer staple! This recipe features greenhouse sweet red peppers & loads of summer basil. So light & airy, like taking a bite into summer!
Serves 4-6 servings0
10 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 1 cup corn (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup finely chopped ontario sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped basil
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 3 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Green onion, for serving
- Yogurt or sour cream, for serving
- In a large mixing bowl stir together the corn, pepper, onion, basil, egg & milk until well combined.
- Add the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, garlic powder, salt & pepper. Stir until the mixture just comes together.
- Using a heavy bottom saucepan bring ½ inch of oil to 350(f) degrees. Using a small ice cream scoop, add 2 to 3 spoonfuls of batter at a time to the hot oil. Cook until golden, about 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Garnish with green onions & serve immediately with yogurt for dipping!
Recipe by: Modest Marcella