If you’re looking for a perfect lunch that’s comforting and warm yet still light and full of flavour, try this roasted apple, quinoa, and wild rice salad. Use local Ontario apples like Gala apples to roast with some fall-inspired spices and combine with wild rice and quinoa for some fibre and protein. The citrus vinaigrette adds a pop of colour and great flavour to the dish, making this perfect for the cooler weather.
15 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 3 red skinned (such as Gala) Ontario apples, skin-on, cored and cut into 8 wedges
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) minced ginger
- 1 tsp (5 mL) brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) crushed fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cinnamon
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) cooked and cooled quinoa
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cooked and cooled wild rice
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped unsalted pistachios
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped dried apricots
- 4 cups (1 L) arugula
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) grainy mustard
- 1 tsp (5 mL) maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) each salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Toss apples with olive oil, ginger, brown sugar, fennel seeds, coriander, cinnamon, cayenne and salt and arrange on parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake apples for 20 minutes, flipping once until tender. Cool and set aside.
- Add apples, quinoa, wild rice and green onions in a large bowl. Toss with Citrus Vinaigrette. Stir in pistachios and apricots. Toss with arugula just before serving.
- Whisk olive oil with lemon juice, orange juice, grainy mustard, maple syrup, salt and pepper.
2/3 cup raw quinoa makes 1 1/2 c cooked, 1/3 cup raw wild rice makes 1/2 cup.