Treat yourself to some homemade breakfast or brunch by making this elegant yet easy to assemble roasted asparagus with prosciutto and poached eggs! Enjoy Ontario asparagus while you can!
- 20 spears Ontario Asparagus, trimmed (about 1 lb/500 g)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- Salt and Freshly ground pepper
- 3 ozs (90 g) thinly sliced Prosciutto, folded over (about 8 slices)
- 3 to 4 tsp (15 to 20 mL) Balsamic glaze
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cider vinegar
- 1 oz (30 g) shaved Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Toss asparagus with oil, salt and pepper. Place on baking sheet in single layer and roast for about 10 minutes or until tender, shaking pan halfway.
- In medium skillet, heat prosciutto slices over medium heat, turning once, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- In deep skillet, heat 2 to 3 inches (5 to 8 cm) water over medium heat until simmering. Stir in vinegar. One at a time, crack eggs into a small cup and gently slide into simmering water. Reduce heat to low and cook until whites are set, about 3 minutes. With slotted spoon, transfer to paper-lined tray to drain.
- Arrange 5 asparagus spears on each of 4 plates, drape with prosciutto, drizzle with balsamic glaze, top with poached eggs and sprinkle with shaved Parmesan cheese.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrients per serving (1/4 recipe): 210 calories, 13 g total fat, 733 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrates, 2 g fibre, 17 g protein. Excellent source of riboflavin, folate and vitamin B12. Good source of iron.