Roasted fennel and fingerling potatoes will make the perfect side to almost any dish. The fennel mellows as it roasts, becoming sweet and tender and the Parmesan added at the end gives the dish the right amount of seasoning, plus, parmesan and fennel taste delicious together! You could even make this on the barbeque in a foil packet.
- 1 large fennel bulb
- 1 lb fingerling potatoes, washed and halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Trim stalks off of fennel bulb and discard. Cut fennel bulb into quarters and slice crosswise into ½-inch thick slices.
- Toss fennel, potatoes, olive oil, and salt in a large bowl until evenly coated.
- Spread fennel mixture in a single layer on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Roast, turning halfway through, until potatoes are fork tender and starting to brown, about 25 – 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving platter and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and a pinch of pepper.
- If you can’t find fingerling potatoes, baby potatoes are an easy substitute.
- Parchment paper stops your potatoes from sticking to the baking sheet. If you don’t have parchment paper on hand, make sure to oil your pan to prevent the potatoes from sticking.
- You could also grill the potatoes and fennel together in a foil packet on the BBQ, over medium to medium-high heat.
- Cooking the potatoes to fork-tender means a fork can pierce the potato with ease (no resistance).