These savoury Roasted Ontario Pear, Shallot and Cumin Tartlets are a fantastic appetizer that’s easy to make and elegant too!
Makes 18 tartlets
- 18 prepared frozen mini-tartlet shells, par-baked as per package instructions
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated old Canadian cheddar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter, divided
- 2 ripe Ontario pears, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) 1/2-inch (1 cm) diced shallots
- 1 tsp (5 mL)sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sherry vinegar
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Place baked tart shells on a baking sheet. Divide the cheddar evenly among the tart shells and set aside for later use.
- In a skillet (with an oven-proof handle) over medium high heat, melt 1 tbsp (15 mL) of butter and gently sauté the pear slices until golden, about 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer the pears to a plate and set aside.
- Heat same skillet over medium-high heat and add remaining butter, shallots and sugar. Sauté the shallots until golden, about 3 to 5 minutes, and add the vinegar, cumin and salt and pepper to taste. Add pears to the mixture and gently stir to combine all of the flavours. Remove from heat.
- Divide the pear and shallot mixture evenly among the cheese-lined tart shells. Bake for approximately 7 to 10 minutes, until warm and cheese is melted. Serve warm.
PER SERVING (1 tartlet): about 105 cal, 2 g pro, 6 g fat (3 g sat. fat), 11 g carb, .79 g fibre, 7 mg chol, 110 mg sodium. % RDI: 3% calcium, 4% iron, 3% vit A, 2% vit C, 4% folate.
This recipe was kindly provided by our featured member, Ontario Tender Fruit.