On a cool night, treat yourself to this smooth, creamy roasted pumpkin soup. Roasting the pumpkin first creates an added depth of flavour! For a fast weekday dinner, roast your pumpkin the night before – then it’s simple and quick to heat all of the ingredients and purée them together on the night you want to eat it.
40 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter or margarine
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) nutmeg
- 2 cups (500 mL) vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) roasted, mashed pumpkin
- Few drops of hot sauce like tabasco or a few shakes of chili powder, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk – alternatively add 1 cup more stock for milk free option
- To serve (optional):
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Toasted pumpkin seeds
- Chopped parsley, coriander, or basil
- The night before, roast your sugar or pie pumpkin. Mash 1 1/2 cups and set aside for the soup. Use the rest as a side on its own or enjoy in other recipes !
- When you are ready to assemble the soup, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat and sauté onion until translucent. Add garlic and nutmeg and cook until garlic is fragrant.
- Add stock and roasted mashed pumpkin and bring to a boil. Reduce or turn off heat, add milk stir to warm through.
- Purée with a hand held blender in the pot, or transfer to a blender.
- Serve on its own or garnish with grated parmesan cheese, toasted pumpkin seeds (or green store bought hulled pumpkin seeds) or even your favourite chopped herbs such as parsley, coriander or basil.
Recipe courtesy of Scotlynn Growers