These Roasted Strawberry Glazed Pork Chops with Strawberry Spinach Salad will please both the health-conscious and carnivorous side of your family.The maple-balsamic dressing elevates this simple salad to something really special, making it the perfect accompaniment to a juicy, glazed pork chop.
To appease the plant-eaters in your life, you can use this glaze on other plant-based proteins as well! Tofu, seitan, tempeh—or brush it over your favourite nut or lentil loaf for a wonderful flavour.
10 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 2 cups (500 mL) Ontario Strawberries, hulled
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) ketchup
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) soy sauce
- 2 tsp (1 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp (7.5 mL) minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chipotle-flavoured hot sauce
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 bone-in pork chops (about 1 1/2 lb/750 g), each 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) each salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) maple syrup
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil
- 1 pkg (5 oz/142 g) baby spinach leaves
- 2 cups (500 mL) Ontario Strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped Ontario Greenhouse Cucumbers
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) thinly sliced red onion
- 4 oz (125 g) crumbled goat cheese
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) shelled sunflower seeds
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Arrange strawberries on foil-lined tray in even layer; roast for 15 to 20 minutes or until softened and caramelized.
- Scrape strawberries and juices into blender; purée until smooth. Pour into saucepan set over medium heat; add ketchup, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, mustard, ginger, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce and garlic. Bring to boil; cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes or until thickened and fragrant. Let cool completely.
- Season pork chops all over with salt and pepper. In large cast iron skillet, heat half of the oil over medium-high heat until almost smoking; cook pork chops, in batches, adding more oil as needed, for 3 minutes per side or until golden brown. Transfer to baking sheet fitted with wire rack.
- Brush pork chops with sauce; roast for 5 minutes. Turn pork chops and brush with sauce; roast for 5 to 7 minutes or until pork chops are well glazed and juices run clear. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Strawberry Spinach Salad: Meanwhile, whisk together vinegar, maple syrup, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper; slowly whisk in oil until dressing is emulsified.
- In large bowl, toss together spinach, strawberries, cucumbers, red onion and enough dressing to coat. Divide evenly among 6 dinner plates; sprinkle with goat cheese and sunflower seeds. Add glazed pork chop to each plate.
- BBQ Sauce can be made up to 5 days in advance.
- Dressing can be tightly covered and stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Add cooked crumbled bacon to the salad and serve with grilled chicken breast for a light lunch entrée worthy of entertaining.