This is a quick and simply family dinner main that is great for busy weeknights. Use a firm, mildly sweet apple like Cortland, Empire, or Golden Delicious that will keep its shape in this dish. With only a few key ingredients with some pantry staples, this dinner is easy to whip up with a side of rice or other cooked grain. This saucy chicken apple sauté will be a hit, even with the kids!
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) minced ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb (450 g) boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, sliced
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chili oil
- 1 red onion, sliced (about 1 cup or half a large onion)
- 2 cups (500 mL) finely sliced kale OR 4 stalks of celery, sliced
- 2 Ontario apples, cored and cut into wedges
- 1 cup (250 mL) chicken broth
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) rice or cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) sodium reduced soy sauce*
- 1-2 tbsp (15-30 mL) garlic chilli sauce
- 2 tsp (5 mL) corn starch
- In large heavy-bottomed skillet or wok, heat oil over medium high heat. Stir in ginger and garlic and cook 1 minute until fragrant but not browned. Stir in chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook until browned and transfer to plate.
- In same skillet, add chili oil. Cook onion and celery (if not using celery, add shredded kale once onions become translucent) over high heat, stirring constantly, until onion is golden and softened, about 3 minutes. Add in apples, broth, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic chilli sauce. Bring just to boil; stir in chicken and cook 2 minutes.
- In small bowl, whisk together corn starch with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water. Stir into sauce and let thicken slightly. Serve immediately over steamed rice.
*Use gluten-free soy sauce or tamari to make this recipe gluten-free.