Caramelizing shallots is an easy way to give a dish a deep, rich flavour that comes alive with a fresh squeeze of lemon juice. Sautéed Brussels Sprouts with Caramelized Shallots are a dish that can come together in 30 minutes to bring some colour and nutrients to your dinner table.
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 6 medium shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 lbs. (900 g) Brussels sprouts, washed, dried, trimmed and cut in half lengthwise
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) toasted pine nuts
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add shallots to pan and sauté for five minutes. Increase heat to medium-high and add Brussels sprouts to pan. Stir every few minutes until shallots are golden brown and sprouts are slightly crispy, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in pine nuts, lemon juice and Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
Produce Made Simple Tip: 2 pounds of fresh sprouts (40-50 sprouts) = approx. 6 cups cut up