This recipe for sautéed zucchini with feta and oregano is delicious, and it makes the perfect summer side dish – plus it can be cooked in no time flat. Did you know zucchini is also called summer squash? It is! For this dish, you can use yellow or green zucchini.
Zucchini is best enjoyed when tender crisp. To make sure you don’t overcook zucchini, keep an eye on its skin. You’ll notice that just under the skin it will turn bright green as it cooks. This is a good indication that it has reached its tender-crisp point.
- 2 medium zucchini (or 3 small)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon crumbled feta
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Cut zucchini into quarters lengthwise, then cut into ½ inch thick slices.
- Heat a large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add oil, zucchini, and a pinch of salt; cook and stir until tender crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Plate zucchini and garnish with pumpkin seeds, feta, oregano, lemon juice, and a pinch of pepper.
- It’s important to properly heat your pan to sauté. If your frying pan isn’t hot enough, the zucchini will steam and overcook, rather than brown and become tender crisp.
- The pumpkin seeds, feta, oregano, and lemon juice are all optional garnishes but feel free to leave them out or add your own favourite toppings.
- Oregano can be substituted for basil or mint.