After a long cold winter, Canadians are excited to see fresh spring produce coming into their grocery stores. One of our favourite spring vegetables is asparagus. With its slender stalks and fresh green flavour, there are endless ways to enjoy it. Here are some savoury asparagus recipes for spring to help you get started!
- Add a splash of olive oil, orange juice and zest to asparagus
- Try grilling asparagus. Season with a splash of Worcestershire sauce and steak spice
- Change up your asparagus. Add a drizzle of balsamic reduction and top with crumbled goat cheese
- Saute asparagus with salt, pepper and fresh minced garlic
- Spice up your asparagus with crushed red pepper flakes and olive oil
- Wrap asparagus in prosciutto, grill, and grate fresh parmesan on top
- Toss asparagus in warm butter with your favourite herbs!
- Marinade asparagus in teriyaki sauce, grill, and sprinkle with sesame seeds
- Add a twist to asparagus. Season with olive oil, garlic salt and paprika
- Saute with salt and pepper and bake with grated gruyere cheese for something new
- Make a savory dish – grill local asparagus, then add marinated red peppers and top with crumbled feta cheese
- Use a vegetable peeler to shave raw asaparagus and add it your salads
- It’s delicious when grilled and topped with a honey mustard vinaigrette dressing
- Try crostini topped with grilled asparagus and sliced almonds
- Try roasting asparagus with capers and lemon for a delicious and healthy side dish
- After steaming asparagus, add brown butter and hazelnuts
For full info on how to select, store and prepare asparagus, visit our Asparagus 101 article!
Asparagus and Eggs are a Perfect Pairing
Asparagus, Prosciutto and Goat Cheese Frittata
The salty prosciutto and creamy goat cheese elevate this simple open face omelet. It’s a real showstopper at brunch, but you can enjoy it for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
Ontario Asparagus and Mushroom Tart
Serve this cheesy Asparagus and Mushroom Tart in slices as an appetizer, or cut into even smaller pieces as an hors d’oeuvre.
Breaded Asparagus Spears with Smoked Maple Bacon Dip
Ontario Asparagus and Cheese Quiches
These individual cheesy asparagus ‘bakes’ are similar to a mini quiche, without pastry crusts. Easy to make, they are ideal as an appetizer or even as part of brunch or a light dinner – just add a green salad and your favourite bread!
Roasted Asparagus and Bulgur Wheat Salad with Maple Olive Vinaigrette
Bulgur wheat adds a delightful texture to this roasted asparagus salad. The maple olive vinaigrette adds sweetness and tang to bring the whole dish together.
Asparagus and Chicken Enchiladas
Salsa verde bolsters the fresh flavour of asparagus in this easy to make enchilada recipe.
Ontario Asparagus Penne Bake
Serve with creamy asparagus penne bake with a green salad and crusty whole grain bread for a well-rounded meal.
Sure, you can boil or steam asparagus, but one of the most beautiful ways to showcase long stalks of spring asparagus is to use them in an open-faced slab pie or a rectangular tart. The asparagus roasts gently into vibrant green, perfectly tender spears as the tart bakes in the oven.
This simple roasted Ontario asparagus is so tasty, it might become your new, favourite spring dish! Enjoy it as a side or add it other dishes, like pasta, egg recipes or even create a simple toasted sandwich – add to a base of soft cheese and top with egg.
Everything tastes better when it’s beautiful! Use Ontario asparagus to create this gorgeous shaved asparagus salad!
This super green Warm Ontario Asparagus and Edamame Salad is the perfect side dish for family dinner! Serve this quick warm salad with grilled shrimp or chicken for a light and healthy dinner.
This recipe for Grilled Ontario Mushrooms on Charred Baguette with Ricotta and Asparagus from Chef Jonathan Collins is something you NEED to add to the menu this weekend. It’s such a great way to enjoy fresh, local, produce when in season. Make this as a tasty starter for family and friends, or even just as a snack for yourself.
This dish is the epitome of spring! Lemon roasted asparagus gratin is great for weeknight dinners, Easter, or any family gathering to take advantage of the delicious Ontario asparagus of the season!