This tasty recipe was developed for us by Suzie of Just Crumbs!
This is a hearty, high protein burger that will satisfy even the heartiest carnivores. Make up a batch and keep some stashed away in your freezer for those days that you need a quick afternoon lunch. Just defrost it quickly in the microwave and crisp it up in a hot skillet! Another quick tip: for less mess in the kitchen, put the grater attachment in your food processor to grate the carrots first, then transfer them to a bowl and continue using the food processor with the blade attachment to make the burger mixture!
- For the burgers:
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 cans (540 mL/19 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs, plus more for coating
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large carrots, shredded
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus more for forming burgers
- For the slaw:
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and julienned
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- In the bowl of a food processor, add garlic and onion and chop; add beans, oats, ½ cup bread crumbs, egg, salt, pepper and pulse again until the mixture comes together to form a paste.
- Scrape mixture into a large bowl and stir in carrots; let sit for about 30 minutes or cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In a medium bowl, mix together all the carrot slaw ingredients and allow to blend overnight.
- With oiled hands, divide the mixture into 5 equal portions. In a skillet over medium-high heat, add olive oil. Place remaining bread crumbs into a shallow plate and coat the burgers in the crumbs. Cook patties 2-3 at a time (do not crowd pan) and cook for about 2-3 minutes; flip over to brown the other side. Once they are browned on both side, place back on a platter and keep warm.
- Serve burgers warm or at room temperature with carrot slaw and other toppings of your choice.
Recipe by Suzie Durigon of Just Crumbs for Produce Made Simple.