It’s back to school season, which means back to packed lunches! We’re all in need of fast, kid-friendly foods that won’t return home uneaten at the end of the day. Boring and soggy lunches won’t be found in your kids’ lunch boxes with these nut-free school lunch ideas!
Nut-free School Lunch Ideas:
- Have kids make their own pizzas by packing mini pitas, some marinara sauce, grated cheese, pepperoni slices and favourite veggies. Traditional favourites include sliced green mushrooms, pineapple or sweet peppers!
- Alternatively, make on-the-go hummus pizzas, with mini pitas, hummus and favourite veggies.
- Prevent wraps from getting soggy by rolling your wet ingredients like tomatoes or sauce inside washed and dried lettuce leaves. Make your sandwiches “soggy-proof” by spreading butter from edge to edge on the inner sides of the bread. This makes a water-resistant layer that prevents sandwiches from becoming unappetizing.
- Try unexpected food pairings! Nectarine, peach and apricot are delicious with chicken but seldom served together. Experience this delicious flavour combination in this wholewheat pita stuffed with curried chicken and nectarines.
- Use leftover pasta from dinner and create a delicious salad for lunch. Cold cooked penne noodles with veggies like chopped cucumber, green onions, tomatoes, bell peppers, a handful of chopped fresh herbs such as parsley or coriander – added with a drizzle of Greek or Italian dressing makes a tasty, filling and healthy lunch.
- Quinoa salad makes a great protein-rich, and filling lunch! Add a pop of colour and taste by adding a variety of vegetables or even fruits to your quinoa creations.
- Use tortillas to fill and roll up for a fun spin on your average sandwich. Cut 2-inch pinwheels, and use a dab of cream cheese to keep the wrap from unraveling completely.
- Kids love eating cold pizza, so make a more nutrition cold pizza depending on your kids’ palettes! For the apple-lovers, try this apple, caramelized onion, and white cheddar pizza or for the kids who enjoy kale, this kale pizza makes great leftovers!
- These watermelon kebobs are a great gluten-free option for kids who love to eat with their hands.